For over two decades Andy McMullen has shared considerable knowledge with those who care about human safety and bear conservation.
Andy's dedication to environmental education shines through his enthusiasm, humour and use of innovative props. During Canada's diamond rush Andy's proactive commitment to bear safety and conservation won him the Shikar Safari International Wildlife Officer of the Year award.
Customized practical solutions to safety concerns with grizzly, black and polar bears are Andy's specialty. Andy applies extensive scientific and traditional knowledge of bear ecology and behaviour gained through:
- 40 years of hands-on wildlife work.
- 37 years working in cross-cultural environments
- 13 years as a wildlife officer in Northwest Territories and Nunavut
- Extensive experience with bear deterrents and electric bear fencing.
- Chairman Safety in Bear Country Society (1999 to present)
- Production team member of Safety in Bear Country Video Series including the titles: Staying Safe in Bear Country, Working in Bear Country, Living in Bear Country and Polar Bears: A Guide to Safety.
- Executive producer for Living in Bear Country and Polar Bears: A Guide to Safety.
- Development of Polar Bear Guard standards and supporting training materials.